Stafford is an unincorporated community of about 121,100 people (2005) in the northern part of the U.S. state of Virginia, located 10 miles (16 km) north of Fredericksburg. Stafford is located approximately 40 miles south of metropolitan Washington, D. C. and about 60 miles north of Richmond, Virginia- the state capital (Connor, 2003). It is the county seat of Stafford County. The Marine Corps Base Quantico is located north of the community. U.S. Highway 1, Interstate 95, and Virginia Railway Express commuter trains pass through Stafford. Like the rest of Northern Virginia, as well as central Maryland, modern Stafford has been shaped by its proximity to the nation's capital. It is largely populated by professionals working in the federal civil service, the U.S. military, or for one of the many private companies which contract to provide services to the federal government. The latter are known locally as beltway bandits, after the Capital Beltway, an interstate highway that circles Washington, D.C.
THE HISTORY OF STAFFORD, VIRGINIA
- Residents and Stafford natives are referred to as Staffordians.
- Historical Stafford is referred to as "Old Stafford."
- Stafford was once home to Margaret Brent, America's first female attorney.
- Both George Washington, America's first president, and George Mason spent their formative years in Stafford.
- The first "visitors" of Stafford were prehistoric creatures called theropods, which were flesh-eating dinosaurs, and planting-eating dinosaurs called ornithopods. Paleontologist, Joe Bachman, found these fossils in Stafford in 1995, which were 110 million-years-old.
- The first Native American tribes of Stafford included the Manahoacs and Powhatans.
EDUCATION IN STAFFORD, VIRGINIA
- Brooke Point High School
- Colonial Forge High School
- Mountain View High School (Virginia)
- North Stafford High School
- Stafford Senior High School
- T. Benton Gayle Middle School
- Edward E. Drew Middle School
- Stafford Middle
- Dixon-Smith Middle School
- Rodney Thompson Middle
- A.G. Wright Middle
- H.H. Poole Middle
- Garrisonville Elementary
- Kate Waller Barrett Elementary
- Anthony Burns Elementary
- Margaret Brent Elementary
- Moncure Elementary
- Park Ridge Elementary
- Rockhill Elementary
- Garrisonville Elementary
- Stafford Elementary
- Hampton Oaks Elementary
- Widewater Elementary
- Winding Creek Elementary
- Rocky Run Elementary
- Hartwood Elementary
AveryHess, Realtors® also offers property management and mortgage assistance for Stafford and the entire Northern Virginia Area, and we are also able to extend full relocation and mortgage assistance to any part of the United States.